Engineering for Particle Physics
Both in the fields of mechanical and electronics engineering, our group has a long tradition and experience in designing and producing custom systems that comply with the strict and specific requirements of the particle physics experiments. This includes experiments in the space, where we have contributed with mechanics and electronic designs.
Developing complex structures, with very tight tolerances or planarity, that work under magnetic field, under very large thermal cycles variations or subject to large radiation doses, etc. are, among others, the challenges that have to be faced in the design and development of the mechanical structures that support the different particle physics experiments we have worked on. Our team of engineers has good experience in dealing with them.
On the electronics engineering the activity takes place in very close collaboration with the Scientific Instrumentation Division from CIEMAT. The requirements for developing electronic systems that operate in particle physics experments are also extremely challenging. Radiation tolerance is usually one of the main requirements, but low noise, high speed, better timing and in general, very high performance, is a must in the majority of the applications. We have experience both in analog and digital electronic systems that range from the very front end for signal shaping and amplification to the ASIC design, digitization electronics, data acquisition and trigger, and the implementation of complex logic in the latest generation programmable devices.
In the following sections we detail the capabilities of both groups and we reference some of the activities that have happened lately in our group.
- ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING CAPABILITIES
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CAPABILITIES
- HIGHLIGHTED DEVELOPMENTS
Our group works in a large variety of activities related with the design, prototyping but also production and validation of large quantities which requires a strict quality control.
Our capabilites include:
- Electronics design: Altium, Orcad.
- Firmware development: Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi.
- Analog and digital ASIC design. Experience with Europractice.
- Electronics testing, inspection and validation. Various oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, signal generators.
- Large variety of instrumentation following different standards: uTCA, VME, PCI, etc.
- ASIC wire and bump bonding machine.
- Electronics production and reparation. Soldering stations, including BGAs.
- PCB prototyping fabrication equipment
- EMI laboratory.
- Access to radiation facilities.
- Two environmental chambers.
- Data acquisition and online control software development.
- Cabling and large system production, assembly and installation.
At CIEMAT there is a large mechanical workshop where parts production can take place. Our team of engineers works in close collaboration with them and the capabilities for production that we have at present include:
- XX CNC machines...
- XX folder machining...
- 3D printer xxxx
Several examples of the mechanical or electronics designs performed by this group can be found here:
In adition, some of them have been made public and can be accessed through the CIEMAT-OHL platform at: